2019 Municipal Election
This year's municipal election will be held on November 5, 2019 to elect two (2) City Councilmembers for a 4-year term.
Declaration of Candidacy Filing period begins August 13 and runs through August 20.
On December 12, 2018 and again on April 10, 2019, the Vineyard City Council voted to participate in the Municipal Alternate Voting Methods pilot project for the 2019 Municipal Elections. This voting method is better known as ranked choice voting. Because of this decision and the changes in legislation this year, the declaration of candidacy period changes to August. The City Recorder’s office will be open:
- Tuesday August 13 thru Tuesday August 20 – 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM – excluding weekends.
The doors close promptly at 5:00 PM on August 20. Please do not wait until the last minute to file.
There is a $35.00 filing fee due at time of declaration.
Qualifications to run for office are:
- Be a United States Citizen at time of filing.
- Be a registered voter of the municipality.
- Be a resident of the municipality or a resident of the recently annexed area for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the date of the election.
- To not be a convicted felon, unless the right to hold elective office has been restored.
What is Ranked Choice Voting?
Ranked choice voting is a nonpartisan electoral reform that gives voters the freedom to rank candidates in order of choice.
Rank candidates how you see fit
Instead of choosing ONE candidate, ranked choice voting allows voters to rank all candidates according to their preference (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.).
In each round of ranked choice voting, the candidate with the lowest number of votes is eliminated. When a voter's number one choice is eliminated, their second choice is included in the count for the second round. This process continues until the final round.Please click on the video to see a demonstration of how ranked choice voting works.
IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES
No primary election will be held this year because we will be running ranked choice elections.
- September 3, 2019: Last day to declare write-in candidacy.
- September 20, 2019: Ballots are transmitted to overseas and military (UOCAVA) voters.
- October 6, 2019: Last day to establish residency and vote in the General Election.
- October 7, 2019: Last day to mail a paper voter registration form.
- October 15, 2019: Mail ballots are sent to voters.
- October 22, 2019: In-person early voting begins. Voters may register to vote with a provisional ballot at an early polling location. Early voting may not be available in certain municipalities. you can register at any polling/voter service center in Utah County.
- October 29, 2019: Last day to request a mail ballot and register to vote online or at the county clerk’s office.
- November 1, 2019: In-person early voting ends.
November 5, 2019: Municipal General Election. Voters may register to vote with a provisional ballot at any polling location in Utah County.